Thursday, August 9, 2012

Too Dumb?

I think these approaches are taught.  If you notice, when focusing on digesting a complex text, taking a test, or reading, a classroom is always silent.  The teacher also makes sure of this, emphasizing the quiet for complete concentration.  However, whenever technology is introduced to the class, such as a movie or presentation, students are required to watch AND take notes.  We teach kids how to multitask at an early age.

In an inadvertent way, I also think these approaches are caught.  There is so much going on that we can get distracted very easily when trying to focus on something.  For example, as I read this article I had my phone nearby, the TV on, and had to urge to check Facebook every few minutes.  I think there is so much technology and social networking now that it makes us feel anxious when we aren't in touch, like when we are reading the "old school way".

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that both single and multi tasking are taught, however I feel that teachers focus more on single tasking at a young age and multi tasking is eventually taught but not focused on so much. I mostly feel multi tasking is natural and technology is making this worse by children going on the internet for such long periods that it's causing them to lose the ability to focus and indulge in one thing at a time.

    ReplyDelete